SVN Properties at server side

satheesh
satheesh
Hi all,    I need to know whether it is possible to use Properties(like log,external) at server side.    If not any other way to do this ???    Thanks...

Last updated

Mand
Mand
Hi there,   It might be better if you give us the real-world problem you're trying to solve. You've started many threads, and in some cases been advised that what you want to do is a very bad thing.   However, if you give us the scenario we may be able to give you a less dangerous or easier to maintain solution to your problem.
satheesh
satheesh
Hi Mand,  We need to add the Author,Rev,Date & log(Commit comments) to the source file while committing at server side like keywords. Every Check in operation it should added to the source file. This may useful for the developer to know the last committed date, Who committed, changes made(Commit comments) through the source file itself.  Another thing is External. Is it possible to use External at server side ??? we are using Label concept, so that we will have to copy the entire project to the desired location. So there is replication of project. To overcome this we need to use Externals at server side. Or any other way to do this ???  Thanks
Mand
Mand
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, the real question is probably why you want to do this?    For the first part, all of that information is available in the log. Why would the developer not just use the log if that info is needed. Or you can use keywords on the client side (as presumably the developer will be checking out or updating their existing working copy in order to work on any particular file). You could have a pre-commit hook that fails if the keyword property isn't set to force people to maintain the info.    I'm not really sure what your second paragraph is saying, what do you mean by 'label' concept? Why do you need externals at server side?
satheesh
satheesh
We need maintain the source file in server like this(with Last modified date, Author,...).  i have used auto-prop at server side like  *.txt = svn:keywords=Date Author Id Revision in my svnserve.conf file  But In my source file $Date$ and $Author$ only expanded, but $Rev$ and $Id$ are not expanded...  Pls help to expand those two properties.  And Is it possible to expand svn:log property ???
Mand
Mand
satheesh;121822We need maintain the source file in server like this(with Last modified date, Author,...).    i have used auto-prop at server side like    *.txt = svn:keywords=Date Author Id Revision in my svnserve.conf file    But In my source file $Date$ and $Author$ only expanded, but $Rev$ and $Id$ are not expanded...    Pls help to expand those two properties.[/QUOTE]    I get that you say you need to do this, what I don't get is why.    [QUOTE=satheesh;121822]Another thing, Is it possible to expand svn:log property ???
   No, as andyl told you in another thread previously. Here is why. Again, I don't get why you want to do this.
andyl
andyl
satheesh;121821We need maintain the source file in server like this(with Last modified date, Author,...).    i have used auto-prop at server side like    *.txt = svn:keywords=Date Author Id Revision in my svnserve.conf file    But In my source file $Date$ and $Author$ only expanded, but $Rev$ and $Id$ are not expanded...    Pls help to expand those two properties.[/quote]Properties are not stored "expanded" in the repository. They are expanded by the client at the time of checking out or updating. Storing them expanded in the repository would be very problematic.    You cannot set properties at the server side. In pre-commit, check that committed files have the properties required set. If they don't, reject the commit. But having the properties set isn't enough - you need the keywords in the files to be expanded.    [QUOTE=satheesh;121821]And Is it possible to expand svn:log property ???
 For the sixth time NO
satheesh
satheesh
Thanks all,  
satheesh;121821  i have used auto-prop at server side like  *.txt = svn:keywords=Date Author Id Revision in my svnserve.conf file  But In my source file $Date$ and $Author$ only expanded, but $Rev$ and $Id$ are not expanded...  Pls help to expand those two properties.  
  My svnserve.conf file [miscellany] enable-auto-props = yes  use-commit-times = yes [auto-props] * = svn:keywords=LastChangedDate LastChangedRevision LastChangedBy Id my txt file content:  $LastChangedDate: 2012-09-07 10:34:50 +0530 (Fri, 07 Sep 2012) $ $LastChangedRevision$ $LastChangedBy: harry $ $Id$  *************
satheesh
satheesh
Mand;121817  I'm not really sure what your second paragraph is saying, what do you mean by 'label' concept? Why do you need externals at server side?
  After a particular commit(Update of Project), We need backup for future purpose(For safety,or rollback). So that we will have to copy the entire project under tags/"Label-name"/Project.  here "Label" is name of the folder which contains the copy of the project.  How can we achieve this without copy of the project ??? that's why asking whether it is possible to use externals at server side....  Thanks
andyl
andyl
Your svnserve.conf should have none of those entries. Those go in your client configuration. Client configuration is not controlled by the server.    Before you ask about it, auto-props only apply to new files (at the time they're added). You will need to add those properties to existing files. Again, at the client.    You need to read the manual. http://svnbook.org
satheesh
satheesh
Thanks andyl,  
satheesh;121878  After a particular commit(Update of Project), We need backup for future purpose(For safety,or rollback). So that we will have to copy the entire project under tags/"Label-name"/Project.  here "Label" is name of the folder which contains the copy of the project.  How can we achieve this without copy of the project ??? that's why asking whether it is possible to use externals at server side....  
Mand
Mand
If you need replication why not use something like svnsync? It's what it's there for.
satheesh
satheesh
Thanks Mand,  svnsync also again a Replication of project. but without replication is any idea is there at server side ???
Mand
Mand
You want to replicate the repository, without using replication?
satheesh
satheesh
Mand;121900You want to replicate the repository, without using replication?
  No, Now we are using Replication, But We need alternate(Without Replication) how can we do this??? like Externals.   Another thing, The number of request for normal folder checkout & Externals Checkout are same ??? or different ???
Mand
Mand
That's not what externals are used for, see here for the detail.   Again, it would be useful to know the problem you're trying to fix in order to give the best advice.
satheesh
satheesh
Thanks Mand,  
satheesh;122073  1. Another thing, The number of request for normal folder checkout & Externals Checkout are same ??? or different ???
  2. Client API to set svn:Externals ???   svn_wc_external_item2_create (svn_wc_external_item2_t **item, apr_pool_t *pool) Is this is correct ???  Pls anyone help
satheesh
satheesh
Pls can anyone help ???
FrankTheTank
FrankTheTank
Mand;122087That's not what externals are used for, see here for the detail.    Again, it would be useful to know the problem you're trying to fix in order to give the best advice.
   Hi Mand,    I don't have a clue why satheesh didn't answer to the question "why" he needs it.    Well, anyway, I would need it because I want to create the repository structure of our repositories out of one template. To do that, I'm using within a batch file with "svnadmin hotcopy" with all of the repositories I would like to have. That's would be approximatly 30 repositories built out of the same structure. The svnadmin hotcopy is executed serverside and I want to connect the repositories within the same script. Well, actually that's it. Below I'm describing a little bit more what's the idea and maybe you need it to give me a good advice how I could solve this.    Explanation for using tiny repos instead of huge: I decided that it is much more easier to have tiny repos for each module instead of one huge repo with all modules in it.  Some of these repositories are containing library collections, each repo one collection. In that way the library collection can be released seperatly. The idea is, to connect all repositories which are using this library through an external to a specific tag of the library repo. In that way, the library would not change automatically in each module. It would only change if the developer who is responsible for the module change the external in his own repository. A Module, a product, a "whatever" which can be released alone, has its own repo .    So far, if you have any questions, just let me know.  Thanks, Regards, FrankTheTank

1-19 of 19

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.