SmartSVN very slow

drewM
drewM
It's taking well over 10 minutes to update 2 files from my repository (they are modestly sized source code files).  The whole program is bogging down. It's using 200% CPU and 430 MB of memory.    Running Mac OS X 10.6.8  8GB memory  SmartSVN 7.5.1 (just downloaded today)  java 1.6.0    I was using SmartSVN 7 before, and didn't have this issue.    Drew

Last updated

squeekjjy
squeekjjy
Hi Drew, for the time being, it could be worth re installing the copy of SmartSVN which was working for you.   If you have a professional licence which is less then one year old then I can provide you with a link so you are able to contact a team who can speak directly to the programmers of SmartSVN, but without a licence which is valid, I'm afraid I am unable to provide you with those detail's.
drewM
drewM
I tried 3 different versions 7.0.7 (the one i originally used) 7.5 7.5.1  All have the same issue. I open the program. It does a refresh, to get my svn status and displays all my modified files. Then the status bar says "Local Refreshing", and not much else happens. The program is still responsive. But when I look at my Activity Monitor, the CPU and memory just start growing, and the programs becomes more and more sluggish until it is unresponsive.
squeekjjy
squeekjjy
So after you downgraded, you expierence the issue you had when you used the new version, this would tell me there is something in you environment which isn't set correctly in SmartSVN.
drewM
drewM
squeekjjy;127074So after you downgraded, you expierence the issue you had when you used the new version, this would tell me there is something in you environment which isn't set correctly in SmartSVN.
   Great news! Any ideas what that setting could be?
squeekjjy
squeekjjy
I'm not sure off the top of my head, it is something about configuring SmartSVN to use more RAM.
bryceman
bryceman
There are two factors in major SmartSVN slow-downs in my own usage. I have large sandboxes and prefer to have multiple sandboxes in a single project, and both of these changes have been required to achieve any kind of usability.    The first is configuring it to use more RAM in the startup script. I imagine the mechanism is different on OS X, but on Linux, SmartSVN is started with the smartsvn-7_5/bin/smartsvn.sh. There is a line near the beginning of that containing the max heap size, which I've changed to SMARTSVN_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=1024m. This can also be changed by setting that environment variable before SmartSVN startup, at least for my situation.    The other change (and I think this is Linux-specific, but might also touch OS X), is increasing the the system-wide maximum for the number of inotify watches. For me on Linux, this looked like adding the following lines to my /etc/sysctl.conf and running "sysctl -p" or restarting. The SmartSVN help docs (I can't find the article on the new site) suggested setting it to 32000, but I found that I kept increasing it, and have been fairly happier with a setting of 128000:    # Work around problems with SCM programs and java7  fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 128000    Honestly, I think that SmartSVN has inherited the huge memory consumption problems of Eclipse, and the team should put increasing performance on the top of their priorities for the next release.
drewM
drewM
So I upped my SVN_MAX_HEAP_SIZE to 768m and 1024m, and had the same issue. However, I think it is ridiculous to think that an SVN client should need this much memory when it doesn't appear to be doing anything. What exactly is the program doing when it says "local refreshing"? Is there a setting to make it not do that?    Interestingly, when googled "smartSVN more memory" to figure out the environment variable, got lots of hits indicating that memory consumption and poor performance have been an issue with the software for a while.. :s
squeekjjy
squeekjjy
If you do svn commit, svn update via the terminal, is there the same issue with the slowness ?
drewM
drewM
squeekjjy;127148If you do svn commit, svn update via the terminal, is there the same issue with the slowness ?
   No. Updates take 10-30 seconds, depending on the size of the changes.
squeekjjy
squeekjjy
In that case I think for now this will have to be your work around intill this thread is picked up by an admin of the site. You may want to drop a member called Mand a pm with the address to this link as this may get an admin's atttention quicker.
Mand
Mand
We made a bunch of performance improvements in 7.5.2, can you update to the latest version and then let me know if you still have problems please?
drewM
drewM
I just updated. It seems to be a *bit* more responsive now, but after running for 5 minutes (idling), its using 800 MB, 200% of CPU, and clicking on a folder takes a couple seconds to process. Doing an update eventually makes the program unresponsive. Is there a setting I have wrong? Incorrect OS version?
Mand
Mand
Thanks for running the update. I've asked our dev team to look into this for you, and will keep you posted.
drewM
drewM
Interesting discovery / resolution? I turned off "Recursively scan unversioned directories" under Preferences->refresh and this appears to have resolved both this issue as well as the folder depth issue, possibly in the older versions as well.  Any ideas on why this setting would have that effect?
Mand
Mand
That is interesting, I've passed the info to our dev team, will let you know what they say.
MonicaZhou
MonicaZhou
Can you tell me how to set SVN_MAX_HEAP_SIZE in mac OS? Thank you

1-17 of 17

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.