Folders with international characters erroneously report files as missing

MacValley
MacValley
I recently moved from version 7.5 release-candidate 2 (build date October 22, 2012) to 7.5.3 (build date December 20, 2012). My repository contains a few folders with Swedish characters. Files in those folders are reported as "Missing" in Local State with version 7.5.3. This is nothing but pure nonsense. When I use version 7.5RC2 connected to the very same repository everything behaves normally. Files reflect status according to what I do with them. If I e.g. change something on my local computer it shows as "Modified" and I can commit changes without any problem. I have read somewhere else that one solution could be not to use international characters. This is not an option for me, I must be able to use Swedish characters in folder names. AND: It worked in RC2! Anyone out there with the same problem? Should I try another client, like e.g. Cornerstone? Please release a version that allows international characters! By the way, my subversion is on a QNAP NAS, reports as: "svn, version 1.7.7 (r1393599) compiled Oct 10 2012, 04:31:19" Added Jan 07: My OS is OS X 10.8.2, computer Mac Mini 2012.

Last updated

Mand
Mand
Hi there,  I've raised a bug on this (SU-17526) for our development team to sort. I'll keep you posted with progress. In the meantime you could use RC2 without any issues, then switch once we've fixed the problem.
Ursus_B
Ursus_B
Hi, An addition to this bug (since it almost certainly is related): When selecting files which have been locally modified and contain special characters (more specifically Å, Ä, and Ö from Swedish), the changes tab shows the characters erroneously in the left hand version. The characters are also shown as locally modified, which they are not - they are simply being shown wrong. This worked in version 7.5.1, and fails in version 7.5.2 and 7.5.3.  / Ursus_B
Mand
Mand
Thanks, I've updated the bug report. Which OS are you using?
Ursus_B
Ursus_B
Hi, I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit, but I've seen the error under 32-bit Windows 7 too.  / Ursus_B
Mand
Mand
Is there any chance you can give us a sample repo where this is happening? We've tried reproducing this in Windows 7 and XP without seeing the issue.
Ursus_B
Ursus_B
Hi, No, sorry. I do not have the time right now to reproduce the issue in a new repo now. But i'll add to this thread when I have time to test this again.  / Ursus_B
tiger
tiger
Hi,  since SmartSVN 7.5.2 (and still with v7.5.3) I'm experiencing the problems with checked-in files containing german umlauts as described by "Ursus_B" above.    The files checked-in in the repository are in 8-bit ASCII, ISO-8850-15 encoding.  First SmartSVN reports no differences. After modifying a single character in a file and comparing the file with its pristine copy all umlauts are reported as different. It seems as if SmartSVN Compare Dialog is evaluating the pristine copy always as UTF-8, instead of the native 8bit encoding but the working version is interpreted in local 8bit encoding. Similar problems occurs in the reverse direction: checked in files containing umlauts are UTF-8 encoded, then pristine copy looks ok but working copy file is interpreted as 8bit encoding --> a lot of ghost differences!    My OS is Win7 64bit. The problem does not(!) occur when unsing SmartSVN in Ubuntu 10.4 32 bit.    I attached a little text file (zipped so it's encoding is preserved).  1. Unzip and then add to a SVN repo (it's save to use SmartSVN for doing that).  2. Then open the working copy file with notepad and change something in the last line, don't forget to save the file.  3. Now go to SmartSVN and compare working with pristine copy  4. --> you'll see that all 3 lines differ due to the umlauts in the other lines.
MacValley
MacValley
Hi Mand, To possibly help you in your detective work, I have set up a very small repository on my NAS. For a limited time I have forwarded the port so you can see for yourself. The address is svn://ahdp.zapto.org:26000/share/MD0_DATA/svn/intntl The repository contains two directories, one with normal characters ("autumn"), and one with a swedish character in the name ("höst"). When I check out the files they show up as Missing with version 7.5.3 (the files in "höst" that is), however they do exist locally. As a consequence I cannot commit any changes because the local status remains Missing. With RC2 I can work with the files without any problem at all. I run SmartSVN from a MacMini 2012 with Mountain Lion, and I keep everything up to date. Please note that you can not commit without authentication, at this time I will not publish that information.  /MacValley
Mand
Mand
Thanks for your help with this guys.   @MacValley - I accessed the repo, checked out in SmartSVN 7.5.3 - modified the file in my working copy, flicked back to SmartSVN and it behaved exactly as expected (see screenshot) [ATTACH]306[/ATTACH].   This is a clean install of 7.5.3 on Win7.
Mand
Mand
@tiger - I've replicated your issue and will raise a bug shortly (see image)  [ATTACH]307[/ATTACH]
Mand
Mand
@tiger - This has now been raised as a bug (SU-17540). I'll keep you posted with progress.
MacValley
MacValley
Ok Mand, I see that it works in Win 7. BUT I USE MAC, MOUNTAIN LION! Please see attached screenshot [ATTACH]308[/ATTACH] /MacValley
Mand
Mand
Yeah, I already tested it on a Mac, and got a slightly different error. The files were not recorded as missing, but nor were they picked up as modified (they remained at unchanged). The other users on this thread were on Windows, hence the testing on 7 last night.
sklenarikr
sklenarikr
I have the same problem on OS X 10.8 in the last SmartSVN freshly installed. My problem is in file browser, where files with nonASCII chars in filename are reported as NonVersioned/Missing just after checkout.[ATTACH]316[/ATTACH]
Mand
Mand
When you say latest release are you referring to 7.5.4?
sklenarikr
sklenarikr
Yes, definitely 7.5.4, downloaded and installed today.
Mand
Mand
Thanks.   We did apply a fix in 7.5.4 which resolved this for a few people, but I have just replicated your issue, and have raised this to our dev team (ref SU-17537). I'll keep you posted as to progress.
MacValley
MacValley
Mand;131577Thanks.   We did apply a fix in 7.5.4 which resolved this for a few people, but I have just replicated your issue, and have raised this to our dev team (ref SU-17537). I'll keep you posted as to progress.
  I just tested 7.5.4. If you look at the problems I reported in the initial post from 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM, I can now happily report that it works for me. So at least for Swedish characters it seem to work. I will switch to 7.5.4 (but also keep 7.5.2, just in case...)

1-19 of 19

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.