SmartSVN 8 rc 3 does not handle properly handle reintegrating branches.

holyfuzz
holyfuzz
Hello,    I have recently upgraded to SmartSVN 8 rc 3 (and in the process, upgraded my working copy to svn 1.8).    Unfortunately whenever I try to "merge" a branch back into trunk (in SmartSVN 7 I would have used the "reintegrate merge" command, but that of course does not exist anymore), the result is a whole bunch of conflicts -- coincidentally or not the exact same conflicts that I would have gotten in SmartSVN 7 had I mistakenly used the "merge" command instead of "reintegrate merge".    Using the command-line 'svn merge ^/branches/my_branch_name' works just fine, so it's definitely a problem with SmartSVN 8 and not SVN 1.8.    Thanks!

Last updated

liam.mclennan
liam.mclennan
Hi holyfuzz,   Could you give us more detail of exactly what you are doing and how, and then exactly what you are seeing? We will need to try to reproduce this problem that you're seeing in order to help.
holyfuzz
holyfuzz
Here are steps to reproduce the issue:    1. Create a new empty SVN repository and add the conventional 'trunk', 'branches', and 'tags' folders.  2. Checkout the new repo using SmartSVN.  3. Create and commit a test.txt file containing a string such as "Hello world!".  4. Create a branch called 'testbranch'. Do not switch to it yet.  5. Modify the test.txt file so that it contains a different string. Commit it to trunk.  6. Switch to testbranch.  7. Merge all revisions (not yet merged) from trunk and commit the merge. test.txt should now have the updated string from trunk.  8. While in testbranch, again modify and commit test.txt.  9. Switch to trunk.  10. Merge all revisions (not yet merged) from testbranch to trunk. This causes a merge conflict for test.txt. DO NOT COMMIT.  11. Revert the attempted merge.  12. Open the command-line, cd to your working copy, and run this command: svn merge ^/branches/testbranch  13. Notice that this time there are no conflicts since we used the command-line merge instead of SmartSVN's merge.    This is using SmartSVN Pro 8 rc 3 and command-line SVN 1.8.5 on MacOS 10.8.5.
liam.mclennan
liam.mclennan
Thanks for that holyfuzz.   I've reproduced this issue and have passed it on to our developers so that it might be fixed in a later release. It's not the correct behaviour (evident by the fact that command line svn merge has no issues performing the merge).   I was playing around though (looking for a workaround for you) and found that if I 'merge from 2 sources' and specify 'From Path' to /testbranch and 'To Path' to /Trunk the merge works fine without conflict and has the desired effect I think you were looking for. I've yet to confirm why this works but it's doing in this case what 'Merge' should do. 'Merge from 2 sources' is designed to be used to merge changes between two source trees.

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.