Confused CVS user

andrew
andrew
Hello, I have used various source control systems for several years including CVS. Some of the concepts regarding branch management in svn have completly thrown me and the team I work with. I like like the features subversion gives us over CVS but am having problems grasping exactly how branches are managed in large multi-user projects. (I have read the subversion book and a couple of articles on the web and am none the wiser). E.g. I have a project with a number of source files, they are all stored under '/project-x/trunck/src'. We make a release of our project by taking a copy of the trunck and then continue development in the trunk. After the release is made an issue is found with one particular file, 'problem.c'. Develpment has continued on 'problem.c' and a number of the other files and we cannot release them yet. So, we take a branch from the release, amend the 'problem.c' file and make a bug fix release. Some of the continuing development has altered a file in the trunk called 'anotherbugfix.c'. We really would like for this file to have been released with the bug fix release but since the bug fix was made off a branch, new changes are not reflected unless somebody explicity decides to merge the trunck and bug fix branches. This is a simplified example and I am not sure it communicates my confusion exactly, but hopefully you get the picture. I can't help but envisage a situation on a large project with multiple files and branches where the complexity due to large numbers of copies of the trunck result in confusion. I know this can't ben an issue and that I am missing some fundamental point. Can somebody point me in the right direction for some additional documentation or an example svn project to illistrate the best way to use this tool. Regards, Andrew.

Last updated

andrew
andrew
Its okay now Its sorted in my head now. After working through a few worked examples of real situations it was obvious. The issues I perceived did not exist. The simplicity of the subversion approach had confused me as I tried to apply the concepts I have learnt from other source control systems.
mut13y
mut13y
Subversion is great! :mrgreen:
k-dub
k-dub
A friend of mine had the same trouble. The syntax of the "svn" executable is fairly well compatible with CVS, but that's it. It's easier to "let go" and "use the force". :)

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.

Post a reply