Advice on web development setup?

neocookie
neocookie
Hi all    I'm very new to subversion, and version control in general. I've got it set up on my Debian box with Apache2, PHP4&5, a smattering of databases, and some other goodies. I'll mainly be using subversion for PHP5 development.    I'm looking for advice on the best way to organise my projects.    Basically I've got five or so seperate "core projects", essentially libraries and frameworks, that I'll be developing individually. I've also got some "sites" which use these core projects and use their functionality, mainly just having bespoke styling and settings.    One or two of the core projects aren't mine - they're freely available frameworks, namely Mojavi (an MVC framework) and Propel (an ORM system). The core of these will stay the same and therefore I don't see any reason to keep them in svn, however I'll be extending these as they allow and would like to keep revisions of my extending/working classes.    I'd like to be able to work in such a way that I can seperate the "sites" from the "core projects", yet have a relativly quick deployment cycle so that I can save, commit, and then view my changes on my test server.    Can someone offer some advice on how to proceed?    Thanks! :D

Last updated

Manuzhai
Manuzhai
You should probably give each core project its own directory to live in. You can then make site directories that have specific files as well as svn:externals pointing to the required core projects, allowing for easy deployment.
neocookie
neocookie
Can you give an example of the dir structure?
Manuzhai
Manuzhai
/project-1/  /project-1/tags/  /project-1/branches/  /project-1/trunk/  /project-2/  /project-2/tags/  /project-2/branches/  /project-2/trunk/  /site-1/  /site-1/tags/  /site-1/branches/  /site-1/trunk/ (w/ svn:externals = "project-1:/project-1/trunk/")  /site-1/trunk/assets/

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.