Is Subversion overkill for me?

cabriggs
cabriggs
I'm a hardware developer at a small company and I need to setup a version control system. In the past, working on similar projects at similar companies, I've been in groups that used RCS and wrote scripts around it to make operations more project-based. That was ok and once we got the scripts the way we wanted they required little maintenance.    Now I'm at a new place and the major difference is that we have a 2nd location with 3 people who will also be working on the project. I'm started to look over Subversion info and it looks like svnserve or Apache solve that problem nicely.    In general, we don't do very complicated things with revision control. We do all the usual stuff like looking at diffs of working files compared to what's checked in. We tag all files with a snapshot name periodically and run regressions on it and diff that against previous snapshots.    The thing I liked about RCS was that it's uncomplicated. Rarely did anything go wrong and when it did, I could fix it. Now I'm looking at Subversion and I see that it's a database back-end and I'm wondering if I'm about to get myself into something that will require more time for me to maintain. I've got plenty of Unix experience; it's just that I need to spend most of my time doing my real job and not maintaining the system.    Any advice? Is Subversion more complicated than I need?    Thanks.    -cb

Last updated

Manuzhai
Manuzhai
Subversion is not very hard to administer. Once it's set up, you probably don't really have to look at it again. Be sure to use an fsfs repository though, they have proven to be far more stable than bdb-based repositories.

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.