Working with multiple repositories

GroovBird
GroovBird
Hello,    I'm pretty new to Subversion, coming from VSS, but I think I have a good understanding about the concepts.    However, I've been thinking about working "disconnected" for some time now. It would be practical in my situation to be able to hold a local repository on my laptop next to my regular working copy to be able to track back in time if I'm doing a lot of work and if I'm disconnected for a while. I would also then need to switch back to the regular shared repository the rest of the team is using and merge all the changes.    My question is really, would svn copy work like this? Would I be able to switch between repositories easily? What would the drawbacks be? What would I have to be aware of?    I do understand that svn copy is more powerful than branching/tagging alone. I'm just thinking this may well be a new concept (at least new to me) that could be solved with svn copy.    Any contribution is welcome.

Last updated

mike5
mike5
I think a few pretty good scripts for repository synchronization can be found on the Internet. You might want to look into it.    Cheers, Mike5
Manuzhai
Manuzhai
svn copy does not work across repositories, which is why I think your solution will not work that well. I see two solutions for "disconnected" work:    1. Just only commit when you can connect to the server. SVN is optimized for this kind of usage, you can just get on with your work and commit it when you're connected.    2. svk is a distributed version control package that works on top of Subversion. I think it does exactly what you want.
GroovBird
GroovBird
The point    The point is to be able to commit to a disconnected repository, so that you can go back in time while still disconnected, to certain points in time while you were working disconnected.    Indeed, "svn copy" does not work across repositories. So my idea is moot, I believe.
Manuzhai
Manuzhai
Just use svk, it was made for what you want.

1-5 of 5

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.