Concerns on migration from CVS to Subversion

schnell18
schnell18
Hi, Subversion forerunners Thank you for outstanding efforts to bring the open source community a feature-rich,next-generation SCM tool. I'm a long-time CVS user and administator. My company is considering to migrate from CVS to Subversion now and has started a pilot project. To make the migration ath smoother and minimize surprise and frustration of end user, serveral concerns must be cleared. I find some useful features found in CVS are missing from Subversion. My concerns are: 1) Are there any facilities in subversion that could address the need of querying file edit status? Just like CVS's reserved edit. This is very important to serialize modification to binary file such as word document, UML model. Sometimes synchronized development model is more approciate for binary data. 2) Though minor, but sometimes very useful, is the keywork $Log$ supported in Subversion? If so, does it behave just like it does in CVS?(It seems there is no $Log$ keyword expansion before and including subversion 1.0.5) Regards, Justin

Last updated

Arild Fines
Arild Fines
Re: Concerns on migration from CVS to Subversion [quote=schnell18] 1) Are there any facilities in subversion that could address the need of querying file edit status? Just like CVS's reserved edit. This is very important to serialize modification to binary file such as word document, UML model. Sometimes synchronized development model is more approciate for binary data. [/quote] Not currently, but they are in the process of designing such a feature. It will most likely be included in Subversion 1.0. [quote] 2) Though minor, but sometimes very useful, is the keywork $Log$ supported in Subversion? If so, does it behave just like it does in CVS?(It seems there is no $Log$ keyword expansion before and including subversion 1.0.5) [/quote] No, Subversion does not support $Log$. Responses from Subversion developers on their mailing lists indicate that such a feature never will be supported.

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.

Post a reply