Organisation for multiple developpers

grunk
grunk
Hello, until now i used subversion alone. Everything was perfect and i think being familiar with the svn concepts. I convinced my co workers to use svn and we should now work together with svn. 1- I think the trunk should remain the "stable" version of our software. How can i manage this ? Each developper should use his own branche to commit his change ? and merge to the trunk ? Or only work on his local copy , run test, validate his work then commit to the trunk ? 2- Is it possible to allow only one person to commit on trunk ? I was thinking giving a read access to all developper in the trunk (to checkout) and they have to submit patches to the manager to commit. Is that a good idea ? How would you organise your repositories with many developper and only one person allowed to comit in trunk ? Thanks for your help

Last updated

dextrous
dextrous
[quote]1- I think the trunk should remain the "stable" version of our software. How can i manage this ? Each developper should use his own branche to commit his change ? and merge to the trunk ? Or only work on his local copy , run test, validate his work then commit to the trunk ?[/quote] Having stable trunk makes lots of sense but than it's again dependent on methodology you want to follow, you can keep trunk stable by having developer branches or feature branches. keeping an un-commited working copy for long is not quite advisable, as best practice is commit early commit often. [quote]2- Is it possible to allow only one person to commit on trunk ? I was thinking giving a read access to all developper in the trunk (to checkout) and they have to submit patches to the manager to commit. Is that a good idea ?[/quote] That can be achieved through authorization file, but I am not sure if that's a good idea, too much policing is an evil but than its again a matter of choice.

1-2 of 2

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.

Post a reply