Version number on multiple file project - How does it work?

LouArnold
LouArnold
I'm using Tortoise SVN under Windows XP. And I am pretty new to the use of SVN. I have a programming project for which I have built a repository. The project folder has a number of files under it in several subfolders. Things happen quickly when I commit, so I wanted to ask. When I first commit the project, I want to know how it numbers the whole "package". Is the first commit at version 1? - ie are all the files and subfolders treated as a group and numbered as version 1? Or is each file given its own version number? For a subsequent commit, is there a new version number for the project as a whole - with all the files saved again - changed or unchanged? Or are the version numbers changed for each changed file, and not for the unchanged files? Is that the way this works? Frankly, I would like the project version numbered as a group - so that each version contains a copy of all the files, even if they haven't changed. And to recover, I would like to bring back a version - the entire set of files for that version. Can that be done? Lou.

Last updated

dextrous
dextrous
subversion revision numbers are not associated to individual files, its associated with complete tree so your concerns are resolved.
andyl
andyl
The revision number is simply a counter of how many changes have been committed to the repository since its inception.
LouArnold
LouArnold
Thank you. That's a relief

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.

Post a reply