How to implement build numbers.

cobracus
cobracus
On many types of software I often see a build number as part of a version number numbering system. I understand what the build number means, but how is it generated? Can I generate that with Subversion or is that down somehow within the code generation system?    How would it be done using , say, VC# 2010 Express?

Last updated

kama
kama
Hi,  usually a build number as obviously by name the build system will produce such a build number...But if you need the build number you should think about you naming convention or how to build instead, cause a build number should never be an indicator to distinct builds...better use release number like 1.0.0 or 2.0.1 etc.  Kind regards Karl Heinz Marbaise
LouArnold
LouArnold
kama;112694Hi,    usually a build number as obviously by name the build system will produce such a build number...But if you need the build number you should think about you naming convention or how to build instead, cause a build number should never be an indicator to distinct builds...better use release number like 1.0.0 or 2.0.1 etc.    Kind regards  Karl Heinz Marbaise
 My question is about a build number, and not a release number. I don't want to adopt a naming convention. I want to know if Subversion can be used to for automatic builds by build number, and if so how?

1-4 of 4

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.