Iniitial setup - unable to send email

imported_markie
imported_markie
Hi,    During initial setup I was not able to send test email. I don't understand why not since sendmail is running (RedHat linux box). There is nothing in the logs to indicate what error occurred. How do I trouble-shoot this problem?    Mark

Last updated

ljolly
ljolly
Hi Mark,  If you check the log files in /ubersvn/data/logs, in particular 'catalina.out', there should be a message to indicate why you were unable to send an email.  Thanks, Liam
oggie
oggie
I'm seeing the exact same thing. It tells me that it can't send the email, but nothing appears in the log files.  UberSVN is on the same server as the sendmail program. I'm running CentOS and I can send email from the command line as well as from the build server Jenkins (which is also on this server). So I know sendmail is working.   UberSVN 11.8-7283 CentOS 5.6
ljolly
ljolly
Hi Oggie, sorry to hear you are having problems. Quick question, are you using SSL and/or authentication as part of your setup?  Thanks, Liam
oggie
oggie
I'm not using SSL, but we are using authentication.
ljolly
ljolly
Hi Oggie,  Can you confirm for me that the uberSVN administrators email address and the address you are sending the email to are correct?  Thanks, Liam
oggie
oggie
The admin email address is a valid email address. So is the 'From' email address on the email server page.    I don't have the option to chose a destination email address on the email server page when I click the test button.
ljolly
ljolly
Sorry force of habit, it is the from address but if that's set correctly then thats not the problem.  Would you be able to try using sendmail as the ubersvn user please?  Thanks, Liam
oggie
oggie
The email address is the same for all. Sendmail, admin email and from email address are all the same. [email]devbuild@.....com[/email]
ljolly
ljolly
Hmmm there's nothing obvious that stands out. If possible could you provide the settings that you are entering into uberSVN please?
oggie
oggie
Apache Server:  Server Name / IP 10.31.31.70  Server Port 9880    UberSVN Server:  Install Path /opt/ubersvn  Base URL 10.31.31.70  Server Port 9890  Default Repository Path /opt/ubersvn/repositories  Update Frequency (days) Weekly  Enable Https No    Preferences:  Social Interface: Disabled  Theme: Classic    Email Server:      Enable email notifications Yes  Use SSL? No  SMTP Server Address 127.0.0.1  SMTP Port 25  From Address [email]devbuild@......com[/email]  Email Prefix  SMTP Authentication No. This server does not require authentication for SMTP
oggie
oggie
Sorry. I was incorrect. The SMTP server does not require authentication.
nsallman
nsallman
Hello,  I am having a similar issue where SMTP is not working with uberSVN. According to my SMTP server logs, uberSVN does not make any actual attempt to send any emails when using the TEST button.  There is no mention of any attempts in the catalina log either.
ljolly
ljolly
Hi nsallman,   I've raised a task to investigate the missing logging around that particular function. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.  With regards to your problem are you also using sendmail? Is authentication or SSL enabled?  Thanks, Liam
nsallman
nsallman
ljolly;115988Hi nsallman,   I've raised a task to investigate the missing logging around that particular function. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.  With regards to your problem are you also using sendmail? Is authentication or SSL enabled?  Thanks, Liam
  Hi Liam,  we are not using sendmail. This is through a corporate Exchange server. The exchange server is never getting any form of communication from uberSVN. I will try and get a wireshark log later to see whether anything is actually being sent out when I click TEST.  I have manually tested sending via smtp using other tools (AutoIT script) using this exchange server from this machine and it works fine. It doesn't seem to be just a logging issue in uberSVN, it doesn't seem to even attempt to send mail.  I will try and get the wireshark log later to prove whether this is true or not.
ljolly
ljolly
Good idea to use Wireshark! I look forward to seeing the results of your test. :)   In the mean time would you be able to post your settings like Oggie has done above? If you are able to include some details about your setup that would be good too.
ralharithi
ralharithi
Hello,    I have the same issue, nothing is showing in the logs.    I have a thread open for that, its here: http://www.svnforum.org/threads/40380-uberSVN-Configuring-Email-Sever-Hotmail    I hope that someone can get the bottom of this.    I am using a Hotmail hosted account, should have worked with nor problem - but this is a problem ...    Regards,    RA
nsallman
nsallman
I apologize for the very delayed response.  e-mail in uberSVN does indeed work. What does NOT work is the TEST button. It just wasn't doing ANYTHING at all. Nothing showed up in Wireshark logs or anything...as if the button was a dud...has not been fixed yet either.  e-mail functionality is there though for sure as e-mails get sent out when repositories are created, etc (admin emails), and subscription emails work.

1-19 of 19

Reply to this discussion

You cannot edit posts or make replies: You should be logged in before you can post.